1. Where does isa take place?
isa takes place in the wonderful Semmering-Reichenau/Rax region, located around 100 km south of Vienna.
2. Can I attend isa for just one week?
Requests to participate for less than the full course duration can only be approved in exceptional cases and after the registration period has ended. Even if your partial participation request is approved, you must still pay the full course fee.
3. When do I find out whether I’ve been admitted to isa?
Audition results will be announced by E-mail in May.
1. Do I have to pay extra to participate in the workshops?
Workshops are open only to master class participants and are included in the course fee.
2. How many workshops may I attend?
Participants decide for themselves how many workshops they will attend. You can get an idea of each workshop’s intensity and required time investment on our website.
1. When and how may I register for the competitions?
The nomination of instrumentalists to participate in the competitions is done by their respective professors during the first week of the course. It is possible to be nominated for multiple competitions, but it must be with different works.
2. Do I have to be able to play entire works?
Each nominated work must be prepared in full. The jury can decide which movement is to be played.
1. What is the isaFestival?
The isaFestival is a presentation platform that offers participants the chance to play publicly in more than 40 concerts. A high standard of artistic quality (suited to performing professionally in public) is required.
2. In how many public concerts may I perform?
The isaFestival is planned so that each participant gets at least one chance to perform in a concert.
3. When will I learn which concert I’ll be able to play in?
The programme of each concert is finalised one day in advance. Participants may register with appropriate works, but only after they have received approval from their professors. The artistic director is responsible for final selections and decisions on performances.
1. Do you accept only audio recordings, or may I also send a video?
We accept both audio and video recordings. All demo recordings can be uploaded directly via the online registration form.
2. Why do I have to list my repertoire?
We need everybody’s repertoire lists in order to plan the concert programmes. Furthermore, our accompanists need a certain amount of time to prepare in advance. For this reason, you may make changes only up to 15 June; this allows us to forward all of the relevant information in a timely manner.
3. What does “concert pieces” mean?
By this we mean pieces that you have largely finished preparing and could perform publicly as part of the isaFestival.
4. Why do I have to send a CV?
We need current CVs for all participants in order to compile the concert programme materials.
1. By when do I have to pay the various fees?
To finalise your application, the application fee must be paid by 15 April 2019!
The course fee must be paid by 30 June 2019 at the latest.
2. Are the workshops included?
All supplemental offerings—such as the workshops—are already included in the course fee.
3. Will I get my money back if I cancel?
After 15 July 2019, the course fee can only be refunded in proven cases of force majeure. The registration fee is non-refundable.
If your registration cannot be accepted by isaMasterClass (for example, if your artistic level is deemed insufficient), any fees that you have paid will be refunded.
4. May I pay by credit card or PayPal?
The University of Music and Performing Arts can only accept bank transfers.
1. Where can I find the scholarship form?
For course participants who are at an exceptional financial disadvantage, it is possible to apply for a partial scholarship (usually between € 100 and € 500).
The scholarship form is integrated into the registration form.
2. What documents are required?
In addition to the normal registration requirements and materials, a scholarship recommendation by a renowned professor and/or a recognised international musical personality must be provided as proof of one’s especially outstanding artistic qualities and financial disadvantage.
3. When will I learn whether I’ve been granted a scholarship?
Decisions will be announced in May via E-mail.
Travel and Accommodations
1. How do I get to the course location?
There are trains from Vienna to all of the course locations (Payerbach-Reichenau; Semmering, and Mürzzuschlag). For current train timetables, connections, and tickets, see: https://www.oebb.at/en/. Please note that it’s quite often possible to get a direct connection from Vienna International Airport in Schwechat to our course locations.
2. How do I get to my hotel?
We organise shuttles on the arrival and departure days that run between the respective train stations and the hotels.
Our shuttle service is reserved exclusively for participants staying at the official isa accommodations.
3. I won’t be arriving at the indicated time. Can I still be picked up?
Please send a brief E-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org if you’ll be arriving earlier than 9:00 am or later than 6:00 pm.
4. Is it possible to get a single room?
Unfortunately, we can’t offer any single rooms.
5. How many people are there per room?
For all participants, we book rooms with two or more beds.
6. May I choose my roommate?
If you’d like to have a specific person as a roommate, you are welcome to tell us; please send an E-mail to email@example.com by 25 June 2019.